Express Entry is an online system that the IRRC uses to manage applications for permanent residence from skilled workers. The IRRC chooses skilled workers based on their skills and ability to contribute to Canada’s economy. Express Entry manages applications for 3 economic immigration programs, within 6 month for most applications:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class
The program is based on a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) which assigns scores to each candidate in the Express Entry pool and then ranks candidates against each other in the pool. Candidates with the highest scores, who meet eligibility requirements of one of the programs, are then selected from the pool and issued an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence. Applicants who do not receive an ITA within 12 months or whose language test results expire (they are only valid for 2 years) will be removed from the pool and need to create a new profile.
STEP 1: CANDIDATES WILL CREATE AN ONLINE PROFILE
Candidates must meet the eligibility requirements of one of the federal immigration programs to be accepted into the pool of candidates. Those programs include the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker class, the Federal Skilled Trades class, and some streams of the Provincial Nominees class.
Their applications will then be ranked based on many factors including:
- Age: young people get more points
- Education: credential must be assessed
- Foreign Work Experience: only high-skilled work qualifies
- Canadian Work Experience: only high-skilled work qualifies
- Official language proficiency: Language tests (IELTS, CELPIP and TEF) determine points.
- Canadian Job Offer: A positive LMIA or NAFTA (CETA) or Intra-Company work permit
- Canadian Education: Points awarded for Canadian post-secondary credentials
- Canadian Siblings: Points awarded for Canadian siblings older than 18 yeears
- Marital Status: Single and married applicants receive different points
- A nomination from a province in the Express Entry streams
STEP 2: THE HIGHEST RANKING CANDIDATES WILL BE INVITED TO APPLY FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE
As soon as a candidate is invited to apply through an ITA, they will have limited time to submit an online application for permanent residence, along with the required forms and evidence. If any mistakes were made in the Express Entry profile that resulted in more points than a candidate should have received, then the application could be denied even if all other criteria for immigration are met. It is important to complete your profile accurately.